Mergers & Acquisitions
Commercial Lending and Other
in Asia and Europe
Jonathan has thirty years of experience representing clients in mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance transactions, complex outsourcing transactions, and cross-border transactions in Asia and Europe. He has represented both borrowers and lenders in venture loans, CMBS loans, and other types of commercial loans, including loans for the acquisition or refinancing of large commercial properties and loans to wineries and other wine industry businesses. In addition to practicing in San Francisco and New York, Jonathan spent more than ten years working in Hong Kong and Japan. Through his many years of working with large and small companies in every aspect of their businesses, Jonathan has developed broad experience to help his clients achieve their business goals effectively.
Jonathan lives in Marin County with his wife Karen and his two children. He speaks and reads Mandarin Chinese and Japanese. Jonathan serves on the Board of Directors of The Volunteer Center Serving San Francisco and San Mateo Counties. He enjoys hiking and organizing volunteer events.
Partner at Farella Braun + Martel LLP (San Francisco)
Partner at Morrison & Foerster LLP (Hong Kong, San Francisco); Managing Partner, Hong Kong and Beijing offices
Associate at Shearman & Sterling (New York, Tokyo)
Jonathan has authored several articles, including the following:
- Pros and Cons of Complex Outsourcing, 2013
- Board Minutes: Increased Risks in Troubled Times, 2009
- AT&T v. Microsoft and the Extraterritorial Reach of U.S. Patent Law, 2006
- Some Sarbanes-Oxley Protections for Whistleblowers Found Not to Cover Foreign Employees, 2006
Member of The State Bar of California
Member of the New York State Bar
Board of Directors and former President, The Volunteer Center Serving SF and San Mateo Counties
Member of ProVisors
Columbia Law School (J.D., 1987), Stone Scholar; Managing Editor, Columbia Journal of Transnational Law
University of Chicago (B.A., 1982), with honors
- Represented acquirers and targets in numerous private M&A transactions in Northern California and in Asia, particularly in the internet/social media and wine industries;
- Represented Visa and other major brands in strategic outsourcing transactions;
- Represented a major wine company in its acquisition of multiple brands and properties in Napa County;
- Represented the acquirer in a $50 million “loan to own” real estate transaction in San Francisco effected through the acquisition of outstanding securities;
- Acted as U.S. counsel in Audi AG’s acquisition of Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A.;
- Represented Netease, a Chinese internet company, in its Nasdaq IPO;
- Represented a major investment bank in its proprietary venture capital investments in Asia.
- Represented the developer of a resort in a $250 million hybrid loan facility secured by a wide variety of assets, including real estate;
- Represented banks in loans to private equity funds; and
- Represented banks in secured lending transactions to wineries and other agricultural companies.