Rich is a business attorney with broad-based business law expertise. Throughout his career, Rich has advised clients on a wide variety of corporate and commercial transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital financings, technology transactions, public securities transactions and public-private partnerships. As a result of his breadth of experience, Rich is able to help clients develop solutions to complex problems.
Rich works closely with business owners and senior managers developing transaction strategy and prides himself on providing practical business advice – not just rigid legal advice – to his clients. Rich has successfully managed teams of attorneys working on time critical transactions, and has worked on transactions across North America, as well as in England and Australia.
Prior to founding Osborn McDerby LLP, Rich ran his own firm, where he focused on assisting small- and mid-size businesses on corporate, commercial, financing, and technology transactions and providing clients with outside general counsel advice. Prior to that, Rich practiced for several years at top Canadian law firms, where he focused on private company M&A, private equity and venture capital finance, corporate and securities transactions, including initial public offerings and secondary offerings, and technology transactions.
Rich lives in San Francisco with his wife Sara and their three children, and spends his free time on his road bike climbing the hills of the Bay Area. He also coaches soccer, and enjoys skiing with his wife and kids.
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Presenter: Tips, Traps & Trends in Early Stage Financing, Continuing Education of the Bar of California (CEB) CLE seminar entitled Representing a Startup: From Notes on a Napkin to Series A, May 1, 2015
- Co-Presenter: Key Issues To Consider When Selecting The Best Legal Entity For Your Law Practice, Attorney Action Club CLE seminar, April 15, 2015
- Moderator: Tech Industry Economic Engine Shifts Into Overdrive: Growth in San Francisco Revs Up Opportunities, Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) panel, August 21, 2014
- Panelist: ProVisors Rainmaker Workshop, March 21, 2014
- Presenter: Tips from the Trenches: Business Law for Entrepreneurs, San Francisco Small Business Week seminar, May 18, 2011
- Presenter: Pitfalls That Entrepreneurs and Small Business Owners Should Watch Out For When Establishing a Business, San Francisco Chamber of Commerce Small Business Issues Forum, September 1, 2010
Founding Attorney, McDerby Business Law, P.C.
Corporate Attorney at Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP
Corporate and Securities Attorney at Fraser, Milner, Casgrain LLP
Member of The State Bar of California (Business Law, Law Practice Management, Solo & Small Firm Sections)
Member of The Law Society of British Columbia (non-practising)
Member of the Association for Corporate Growth (ACG), San Francisco Chapter
Group leader and founder of the Bay Area Lawyers Affinity Group (BALAW), a group of attorneys within the ProVisors community
Schulich School of Law, Dalhousie University, J.D.
University of New Brunswick, B.A., First Class Honors in Political Science, Specialization in International Relations